Focus School Newry Campus is a thriving non-selective school situated in Newry, Northern Ireland, catering for students from communities in South Down and part of the Republic of Ireland. It is thus a cross-border school, and is fully accredited and inspected by the Department of Education (NI) as an Independent School.
The school is owned and operated by the Warrenpoint Educational Trust, and is affiliated to the Focus Learning Trust which exists to provide support, direction and resource to all affiliated schools.
To enhance children’s learning by:
- Providing high quality learning programs matched to the needs of individual students and aimed at promoting their full participation in society
- Recruiting, developing, and retaining the best available teaching and support staff to ensure achievement of all the school’s learning goals
- Establishing and encouraging a supportive school community
- Treating all children equally and providing them with skills, and the environment, to work well with their peers and the wider community.
Teaching and learning programs developed by the school will:
- Be consistent with the school’s relevant policies
- Have content that is clearly linked to students’ needs and interests
- Employ a range of teaching strategies that are appropriate for the students
- Incorporate cross-curricular perspectives
- Specify intended learning outcomes and detailed assessment and evaluation procedures
- Pre-test – assess needs – teach to needs – assess and evaluate accordingly
- Identify and assess students with special educational needs and apply appropriate teaching strategies.
A supportive and progressive Board of Trustees will endeavour to:
- Provide opportunity for teacher training and relevant feedback
- Update facilities, teaching aids, technology aids
- Ensure that an effective appraisal system is supported
- Be receptive to teaching problems and concerns
- Ensure that our comprehensive Safeguarding Policy is implemented for the protection of all students.
Our School will:
- Provide opportunity for open and continual communication and respond to general concerns
- Make parents feel welcome to come and communicate
- Maintain equity in all curriculum areas.